On this page:

Information about fees in the Employment Court

There are two types of fees in the Employment Court:

  • Filing fees (as listed in the Forms table below) are payable at the time of or before documents are filed. Please refer to the 'Ways to pay the fee' table below.
  • Hearing fees are payable after the hearing for each half day of hearing after the first day. The hearing fee for a half day hearing is currently $250.44. Generally it is the responsibility of the plaintiff/applicant to pay the hearing fees. The invoice for the hearing fees will be sent to that party or their representative. The Employment Court will no longer be accepting cheques from 1 June 2021.

Ways to pay the fee


You can pay the filing fee online using File and Pay.To file the documentation, you must post or deliver a physical copy to the court. You must include a copy of the File and Pay online receipt as proof of payment.Please note: At this stage, File and Pay cannot accept online filing of documentation for Employment court applications.

Access File and Pay(external link)

Internet banking (direct credit)

To make your payment by direct credit, please use the bank account information and payment reference provided below: 

  • Pay the money into Westpac account 03-0049-0001063-00.

  • Include the reference 150000 + your surname or company name

  • Tell the appropriate Employment Court registry that you have made the payment.

Please note: The application will not be able to be confirmed until the receipt of the fee is confirmed as received, which would normally be on the morning of the next working day. However, if the receipt of the fee is confirmed the application will be recorded as filed on the date the fee was paid.

  • It is the responsibility of the payer to confirm that the details of the payment are communicated to the registry staff in the appropriate Employment Court.

  • The inclusion of adequate identifying information on the payment is also the responsibility of the payer.

In person

You can pay the required fee either in cash or using EFTPOS, debit or credit card at the court counter (please do not send cash in the post).

Back to top

Information about forms in the Employment Court

The forms can be downloaded when selected from the below list in Word document.  Upon downloading please delete the red instructions from the Word document before filing.

Find out more about completing, filing and serving documents and paying the filing fee.

Back to top

Frequently used forms

FormFiling FeeNumber of copies required
Form 1: Statement of claim - challenge to Employment Relations Authority determination [DOC, 49 KB]
View example [PDF, 408 KB]
204.44 3
Form 1AA: Statement of claim - challenge in respect of dismissal of frivolous or vexatious proceedings [DOC, 55 KB] $204.44 3
Form 2: Statement of claim - other proceedings [DOC, 42 KB] $306.67 3
Form 2A: Application for leave [DOC, 46 KB] Free 3
Form 3: Application for special leave to remove matter to Employment Court [DOC, 33 KB] $204.44 3
Form 4: Statement of defence [DOC, 43 KB]
View example [PDF, 401 KB]
Free 3
Form 6: Notice requiring disclosure [DOC, 31 KB] Free (2)
Form 7: Objection to disclosure [DOC, 28 KB] Free (2)
Form 8: Challenge to objection to disclosure [DOC, 32 KB]
Note: when filing Form 8, you must also file two copies each of Forms 6 and 7
$102.22 2
Form 9: Application for verification order [DOC, 31 KB] $102.22 2
Form 13: Application for rehearing [DOC, 32 KB] $306.67 3
Form 14: Application for stay of proceedings [DOC, 41 KB] Free 3

Back to top

Other forms

FormFiling FeeNumber of copies required
Form 11: Plaintiff's management memorandum [DOC, 46 KB] Free 2
Form 12: Defendant's management memorandum [DOC, 46 KB] Free 2
Form 16: Charging document [DOC, 30 KB] Free 3
Affidavit or affirmation [DOC, 36 KB] Free 3
Affidavit of service [DOCX, 16 KB] Free 2
Notice of change of representation [DOC, 34 KB] Free 2
Notice of discontinuance [DOC, 36 KB] Free 2
High Court Form G31: Interlocutory application on notice [DOC, 34 KB] Free 3
High Court Form G32: Interlocutory application without notice [DOC, 44 KB] Free 3
High Court Form G33: Notice of opposition [DOC, 40 KB] Free 2

Back to top

Forms used when serving a defendant overseas (other than in Australia)

FormFiling FeeNumber of copies required
Form 2A: When used for an application for leave to serve statement of claim on an overseas party [DOC, 46 KB] $204.44 3
Form 2B: Request for service overseas [DOC, 31 KB] Free 2
Form 2C: Notice accompanying statement of claim served outside New Zealand [DOC, 28 KB] Free 2
Form 2D: Objection to Court's jurisdiction [DOC, 28 KB] Free 2

Back to top

Forms for a case involving a defendant in Australia (and the Trans-Tasman Proceeding Act 2010 applies)

From 11 October 2013, new arrangements for resolving civil disputes with people in Australia came into effect. Arrangements under the Trans-Tasman Proceedings Act 2010(external link) and associated Employment Court (Trans-Tasman Proceedings Act 2010) Amendment Regulations 2013 (external link)have made resolving civil disputes with people in Australia simpler, cheaper and more efficient.

Find out more about Trans-Tasman Proceedings (external link)

In addition to the Employment Court Regulations forms referred to in the tables above, the following forms should be used when a defendant (or in some cases, a witness) is in Australia and where the Trans-Tasman Proceedings Act 2010 applies:

FormFiling FeeNumber of copies required
TTPRR Form 1: Notice giving prescribed information for defendant served in Australia [PDF, 1.7 MB] Free 3
TTPRR Form 2: Defendant's application for stay of civil proceeding [PDF, 321 KB] Free 3
TTPRR Form 3: Request that New Zealand court determine defendant's application for stay of civil proceeding with hearing [PDF, 2.4 MB] Free 3
TTPRR Form 4: Request to appear remotely in hearing of defendant's application for stay of civil proceeding [PDF, 491 KB] Free 3

If you can't access these forms

If you can't use these forms in Microsoft Word or can't open the PDF, you can find them online in Employment Court Regulations 2000(external link)

Or go to the High Court Rules(external link)

Back to top

This page was last updated: